According to the Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM), the demand for project managers is expected to grow throughout 2023.
That said, competition for jobs is strong, and landing a great one begins by writing a great IT project manager resume.
You can write a great resume by using my Australian IT project manager resume example below, or give yourself a huge head-start by using my recommended:
Australian IT Project Manager Resume Example.
Here’s a resume example that I wrote for a senior Australian IT project manager. Let me walk you through it step-by-step, and show you how to write one just like that, so that you get hired fast.
Melinda moved to Australia and became a project manager after divorcing Bill, haven’t you heard? 🙂 Here’s why her resume will impress hiring managers:
- Attractive design. Graphics and text style create a sense of order and add contrast.
- Clear contact information. The right contact details (your phone, address, LinkedIn and email) are exactly where a hiring manager will expect them to be. No date of birth, gender or photograph are listed.
- Captivating profile. Think of it as a very condensed version of your cover letter. Be careful not to stuff it with throwaway terms like “dynamic” and “various companies”.
- Succinct key skills. Also known as key assets, the key skills section must highlight your hard and soft skills to help your resume pass ATS tests.
Here are the most important takeaways from this page:
- Reverse chronological format. Ideal for an experienced IT project manager, the reverse-chronological resume format prioritises the most relevant roles and helps the hiring manager find the right information fast.
- Front-loaded, action-verb-driven achievements. Your achievements are the most important part of your resume. Not to be confused with responsibilities, your achievements must sell the positive impact you’ve had on the business.
Last doesn’t mean least. The last page of your PM resume contains vital information that can be the difference between getting a job offer, and not:
- Correct length. Driven by your seniority, the correct length of an Australian resume can be anywhere between 1 and 5 pages. This one came in at 3 pages, which is fairly typical for an IT Project Manager with 13 years of experience.
- Additional career history. Use this section to list roles that are too important to be excluded, but not important enough to be dissected in detail. The more senior you become, the longer this section will get!
- Next steps for references. You don’t need to provide references on your resume. A single line that points to their availability is sufficient.
Best Resume Templates For Australian IT Project Managers.
Resume templates are important because they provide a structure that saves you time. And as a project manager, you know all about leveraging structures to save time!
Instead of wasting hours on creating a resume layout from scratch, I highly recommend that you use one of these freebies from Resume.io:
What if you don’t have the time (or the patience) to write it yourself?
Hire one of my Australian resume writers. Professionals in my reviews of the best resume writers in Sydney and the best resume writers in Melbourne have helped hundreds of IT project managers land more interviews and get hired faster.
Job Outlook For IT Project Managers In Australia.
The Australian National Skills Commission released its annual Skills Priority List. According to the report, IT Project Managers are in shortage, future demand is expected to remain high, and the average salary is $266 per week.
Are you surprised? I’m not.
IT project managers can expect to be in high demand because every business is continuously transforming to meet the expectations of the digital economy.
But as Australia enters an economic slow-down in the first half of 2023, you can expect the competition for the best jobs to heat up. Make sure that your resume is up-to-date and on point!
Related Australian Resume Examples.
- Australian Business Analyst Resume Example
- Australian Accountant Resume Example
- Australian Lawyer Resume Example
- Australian Senior Executive Resume Example
- Australian Hospitality Manager Resume Example
- Australian Registered Nurse Resume Example
- Australian Graduate Resume Example
- Australian Customer Service Resume Example
- Australian Chef Resume Example
P.S. Are you an IT project manager, on the hunt for a job in Australia? Share your biggest roadblock to success in the comments below, and I’ll provide you with personalised tips to help you land your dream PM gig.