Many of us recently realised that we prefer working from home, and converted spare rooms into gorgeous home offices decked out with standing desks and ergonomic chairs. But your setup is not complete unless you personalise it with accessories that improve its aesthetics and maximise its functionality.
I’ve scoured all corners of the web to put together the essential standing desk accessory guide below. Use it to reduce fatigue, improve your home office ergonomics and improve your productivity.
Balance Boards And Standing Mats.
Foot pain is the number one complaint among people using standing desks.
While you can probably walk for 1-2 hours without much discomfort, you’ll struggle to stand without moving for longer than 15 minutes.
Balance boards and standing desk mats solve this issue by creating an unstable surface that forces you to continuously shift your weight.
The FEZIBO board is ergonomically engineered to reduce muscle fatigue. It:
- Features an 8.5-degree tilt to create mild instability that keeps your hips, ankles and calf muscles working.
- Has a rough surface that improves circulation when used barefoot.
- Reasonably priced, costing about $240.
- Has a 4.4 star rating, with over 1800 satisfied customers.
This standing desk mat prevents foot soreness typically associated with prolonged standing. It:
- Encourages you to shift weight throughout your day.
- Helps you stand for long periods (how long should I stand at a standing desk?)
- Is more stable than balance boards, which some users find distracting.
The Desky mat includes a 5-year manufacturer’s guarantee.
Standing desk mats and boards encourage mobility, but do not replace a proper exercise program. Remember to train at least 3 times per week and check out these standing desk exercises to elevate your health and well-being.
This anti-fatigue mat is more basic than most but is one of the most comfortable.
- Has ¾-inches of high-density foam to relieve pain in your feet, knees, legs, and back.
- Costs approximately $42, far less than the Desky mat and Fezibo board above.
- Stands up to wear and tear well over time despite the lower cost.
It is stain-resistant, easy to clean, and uses non-slip materials: a win-win.
(Related: Essential Furniture For A WFH Setup).
Standing Desk Stools & Chairs.
Although a standing desk mat or balance board can help you stand longer, you will need to sit down for at least a part of your workday.
I find that standing for longer than 3-4 hours is not possible – I start slouching, using elbows to prop myself up and generally feeling more mentally fatigued than usual.
But before you give up, lower your desk and plonk yourself in a traditional office chair, consider a half-way option.
A wobble stool is a perfect standing desk accessory that relieves pressure from your feet while encouraging you to stay mobile.
This wobble stool leans 30 degrees off-centre in any direction and rotates in a full circle, allowing you to tilt, rock and keep your core muscles engaged,
- Adjusts from 63 to 88 centimetres, allowing you to sit at a typical desk height or lean next to your standing desk workstation.
- Has a soft foam cushion to keep your butt comfortable.
- Allows you to maintain proper posture while working your core muscles.
It also comes in at a reasonable price of $189.
The Vari standing desk stool has a 17-inch cushioned seat, which promises to keep you comfortable all day.
This standing desk accessory:
- Allows you to adjust the height between 25.5 and 35 inches easily, the ideal position for most desks.
- Helps to improve posture and boasts a wide range of motion.
- Allows you to exercise your back, legs, and core while using this stool in the office.
This item is more expensive, costing about $300 but offers much more flexibility and various uses.
(Related: Best Corner Desks For Your Home Office).
Ergonomic Office Chairs.
You can’t stand and wobble all day, every day. Give your muscles a break with the most expensive standing desk accessory you’ll likely need to buy – a top-notch ergonomic office chair.
Prices range from $300 to $3,000, but the sweet spot that balances cost with ergonomics is around the $600 – $1,500 range.
Check out two options below: pick one up for around $750 and the other for about half as much
Prevent aches and pains and keep yourself in an ergonomic position with the ErgoTune Supreme. This chair is available in three colours, three height options and:
- Includes built-in adjustbale lumbar support to support the C-shape of your spine.
- Offers a waterfall edge seat to promote blood flow to your legs.
This office chair has a 21-day trial, and the company will cover the cost of return shipping (and arrange courier pickup from your home) if you decide to return it.
The Sihoo M57 ergonomic office chair offers outstanding value for money. I don’t love its chrome base and the awkward location of its tilt tension mechanism, but for $350 I can’t really complain.
3D adjustable armrests with very nice arm pads are great for digging your elbows into, and the optional footrest is surprisingly useful for kicking back behind your standing desk and watching videos.
Under-Desk Walking Mats & Treadmills.
Get more steps into your workday by investing in a walking mat or an under-desk treadmill.
Spend as little as $300 on a basic walking pad or as much as $1,500 on a gym-grade treadmill that will keep you running at over 15 km/hour.
I don’t recommend that you start showing up to every Zoom meeting while walking on a treadmill. Your colleagues will probably find your new obsession less endearing than you think.
Laptop Stands For Standing Desks.
Laptop stands are helpful to ease neck pain and eye strain by placing your laptop screen at the most optimal level. Many of us use our laptop screens at the incorrect angle without even realising it.
Try one of the options below to support yourself better.
There are many reasons to add this cheap laptop stand to your standing desk setup. You can:
- Use it to elevate your laptop screen to your eye level, reducing strain on your neck muscles.
- Make it work with any laptop between 10 and 17 inches in size.
- Fold it away when travelling or working from public spaces.
The laptop stand has cooling technology to keep your laptop from overheating on long Australian days.
This laptop is compatible with laptops between 10 and 15.6 inches. It’s not height adjustbale (the height is fixed at 13 cm) and it doesn’t fold for easy storage, but is is three times cheaper than the LIFELONG laptop stand I recommended earlier.
- Strong metal braces to firmly support your device.
- Aluminium finish that makes it look like it’s a genuine Apple product.
Lamps For Stand-Up Desks.
Do your eyes hurt or burn after a long day of work? You’re not alone. The wrong standing desk accessories can cause unnecessary eye strain and fatigue.
The good news is that desk lamps are easy to fix and can be easily adjusted to your needs.
This standing desk lamp is gentle on your eyes with three colour modes and dimming features.
- The soft light won’t glare or flicker, allowing you to concentrate on your screen without distractions.
- The arm can rotate 180 degrees while the base rotates 270 degrees.
- You can clamp this desk lamp to any surface up to 2 inches wide.
The great news: it costs less than $20, which is far more affordable than the following option.
Although the Kary LED lamp is more expensive than many, it is well worth the purchase. This lamp:
- Is 31.5 inches wide with a 2.87-inch wide metal base – suitable for most desk set-ups.
- Provides 1800 LM brightness so that every corner of your desk is well-lit.
- Offers five colour temperatures, five brightness levels, plus a smart dimmer.
Storage Accessories For Standing Desks.
Are you easily distracted by the mountains of paper, pens, and notebooks on your desk? It’s time to organise your space.
Many standing desks do not include storage space, but luckily, several storage add-ons help.
This standing desk accessory is a simple, effective solution to clutter and frustration. It sticks under your desk in minutes to create a space for hiding your pens, notepads and other stationery.
I recommend attaching it with double-sided tape instead of screws in case you change your mind about its optimal location.
This anti-spill coffee holder will save you the trouble of redoing reports after a spill – we’ve all been there. This one:
- Is sturdy enough to hold large drinks up to 3.4 inches in diameter.
- Will fit most go-to cups or thermoses, with space for a handle.
- Costs less than $20.
The screw caps won’t scratch the surface of your desk.
This headphone stand hangs underneath your desk, allowing you to declutter your desk by moving up to two clunky headphones out of sight.
- A USB charger with three ports to charge all your devices quickly.
- A 90-day money-back guarantee and a 24-month warranty.
You should have no qualms about spending $30 for this must-have purchase.
Bottom Line On Choosing Standing Desk Accessories.
Standing desks offer a range of health and well-being benefits. They have become a simple solution for corporate offices and work-from-home set-ups alike.
When your job requires you to spend long hours at your screen, you can use standing desk accessories to support your physical body and mind better.
- Alternating between mats and stools so you can stay active without adding strain
- Investing in laptop mounts and lamps to reduce eye strain and fatigue
- For the finishing touch – ensure your space is well-organised with storage options
You need more than a desk to support you throughout the day. By using the essential standing desk accessories outlined above, you can increase productivity, minimise pain, and improve your outlook on work overall.