Sydney is the corporate headquarters of many Australian organisations, making it a very competitive job market. However, there are still plenty of opportunities for those who are willing to look for them.
Let me begin by saying that your job search begins with having a good Australian resume, styled according to the expectations of local hiring managers.
Without that, you’re dead in the water.
Why Are You Finding It Hard To Find A Job?
The first rule of job search in Sydney is – don’t blame the recruitment companies for your lack of success.
Recruitment companies play a vital role in the Australian job market, but they only manage to fill around 15% of all job openings. The other 85% are filled by employers who use their own networks, social media, and internal recruitment teams to find the right candidates.
Lack of traction in the job market usually points to an incorrect job search strategy, or gaps in experience. If you’re struggling to find a job in Sydney, the first thing you need to do is identify the root cause.
5 Tips On How To Find A Job In Sydney.
Assuming that your resume is now in tip-top shape (if not, hire the best resume writer in Sydney), use the following tips to troubleshoot your job search and improve your chances of finding a job:
- Have focus. Be very clear on the type of role that you’re after. Make sure that your resume positions you exactly for that role (step-by-step guide to writing a resume). Don’t try to position yourself as everything to everyone.
- Use a variety of resources. Don’t just rely on online job boards – also check out LinkedIn, newspapers, company websites, and recruitment agencies.
- Networking is key. Get connected with as many people as possible, both in-person and online. You never know who might be able to help you land your dream job.
- Be prepared to compromise. You might not get your ideal job straight away, but if you’re willing to consider other options, you’ll eventually find something that’s a good fit for you.
- Persevere. The job market in Sydney can be tough, but if you keep at it, you’ll eventually find success.
(Related: How Not Do Dress For A Job Interview).
Sydney Job Market In 2023.
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the unemployment rate across the Greater Sydney region has been at one of its lowest points in history, with 97,000 unemployed people registered as of January 2023.
- This is almost 50% of last year’s figure when there were 180,000 people considered unemployed.
- Sydney’s unemployment rate is currently well below the national rate of 3.9%, at 3.2%.
How Can I Get A Job Quickly?
Start by reading my Guide To Getting A Job 4X Faster. Concurrently, get on the radar of as many recruiters as possible. Search for “Recruiter Sydney” on LinkedIn and send them a note with your resume attached. Wait a few days, then follow up. Be persistent, but don’t be a pest.
What Are The Most In-Demand Jobs In Sydney?
The Sydney job market is booming, and there are plenty of opportunities for those who are looking for work. Here are some of the most in-demand jobs in the city:
1. Business Analysts.
Business analysts are in high demand in Sydney, as businesses look to improve their efficiency and competitiveness. If you have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, then this could be the perfect role for you.
(Related: Australian Business Analyst Resume Example).
2. Construction Project Managers.
Sydney is constantly updating its infrastructure, and project managers are responsible for ensuring that these large civil projects are completed on time and within budget.
If you have good organisation skills and can keep track of multiple deadlines, then this could be the job for you.
3. Real Estate Sales Professionals.
With Sydney’s infamous booming real estate market, sales professionals are always in high demand. If you have strong communication skills and can close deals, then this could be the role for you.
4. Product Managers.
A career for misfits, wranglers, analytical thinkers and people who are comfortable with unpredictability, product management is in biggest demand across technology, banking and government sectors.
Is your profession not on the list? Don’t worry – for more hot job opportunities, search Indeed for high-demand Sydney jobs.
See you around Bondi somewhere!
P.S. How is your Sydney job search going? Are you finding it easy or difficult? Tell me about your challenges in the comments below, and I’ll give you personalised advice to help you land a job, faster.